In 1907, a group of determined Robbinsdale women, including Amy Robbins, formed the Robbinsdale Library Club with a simple but ambitious goal: to create a free public library and a gathering place for the community. They began with donated books and borrowed spaces before purchasing a former bakery in 1917, moving it to a donated lot on Rockford Road, and opening it as a library in 1920. Their vision soon grew. On January 4, 1926, a new library designed by architect H. H. Livingston opened, funded largely through community donations, including a contribution from local publisher Wilford H. “Captain Billy” Fawcett. With its Tudor Revival styling, large windows, hardwood floors, and welcoming reading rooms, the building was designed to feel less like an institution and more like a comfortable community home.

The library quickly became much more than a place to borrow books. Frances Pollard, who became librarian in 1921 and served for thirty years, helped transform the small operation into a respected community institution. The Library Club remained deeply involved, holding meetings and social events in the basement, publishing a fundraising cookbook in 1929, and organizing book sales, teas, and other activities. As Robbinsdale grew, so did the library, eventually receiving a major addition and remodeling in the 1960s. But the building’s role as a library came to an end in 1976 when a larger regional branch opened nearby. The Library Club gave the building to the City of Robbinsdale in 1977, and in 1978 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places—the first and, so far, only Robbinsdale building to receive that designation.

The old library nevertheless continued its long tradition of serving the community. The upstairs became home to the Robbin Gallery, while the basement briefly housed the Annex Teen Clinic, which provided confidential services to young people beginning in 1978 until a devastating 1983 fire forced it to relocate. The Robbinsdale Historical Society, founded in 1978, moved into the building in 1998 after remodeling and the addition of an accessibility ramp, bringing its museum and archival collections into a structure that was itself an important part of Robbinsdale history. Today, the building at 4915 42nd Avenue North houses the Robbinsdale Historical Society and Robbin Gallery, while the Robbinsdale City Band stores its archives downstairs. Nearly a century after Amy Robbins and the Library Club members set out to create a library, the building remains what they envisioned: a bright, welcoming place where history, art, learning, and community continue to come together.
Listen to the rest of the story!