The Fabulous Fifities

1950 Census: 11,289 (an 87.6% increase since 1940) The decade of the 1950’s was busy. World War II was over. School activities were fun for all the new parents. In April, the City Council reapportioned … Read more

Moving to Hubbard Avenue

1949 In February, a PTA was organized at Lee School with Mrs. James Walker as the first president. A card party, a KSTP Barn Dance at the high school, a square dancing party, paper sales, … Read more

Sonneyson Shows Up

1937 On Memorial Day the Robbinsdale Concert Band paraded in the services at the flagpole on Victory Memorial Drive and in the parade on Nicollet Avenue in new uniforms made as a WPA sewing project. … Read more

Another Defeat for Annexation

1932   On April 21 the Library Club planted a Memorial Elm at the Library in commemoration of 200 years since George Washington’s birth. Ernest P. Sheffield donated the tree and attended to the planting. … Read more

Fire, Water and Wind

1925 On February 25, in a bitter sub-zero gale, a disastrous fire burned down one half of a block of the business district. Flames started in the rear of R. L. Schuller’s two-story farm implement, … Read more

Fawcett’s True Confessions

1922 On February 15, 1922, a new paper appeared: The Robbinsdale Northern Headlights, George Archard, Editor It was a four-page paper, published twice a week, Wednesday and Saturday. It continued until 1933 . Later the … Read more

Bring on the Whiz Bang

1919 The Security Bank was incorporated December 16, 1918, opening for business January 16, 1919, in the same one-story building which had housed its predecessors, two banks which were once described by Mrs. Stillman as … Read more

The Nashes of Crystal Lake

Civil War veteran, farmer, politician, and businessman Jay Elijah Nash was born on March 29, 1843, in Hadley, Massachusetts. At the age of 18, he enlisted in the Union with Company D of the 27th … Read more

The Robbinsdale P.T.A.

1913 In 1913 Parker School, built in 1890, was no longer adequate for over 200 pupils. Fourteen thousand dollars in bonds were issued to add four additional rooms to the front of the original school … Read more