William Mueller opened his drug store in a new building on the corner of 42nd and West Broadway in 1926. The Village Council approved a sidewalk out front the same year. In 1982, after years of neglect, the building was declared uninhabitable and torn down by the Robbinsdale Housing Authority. The adjoining store front is still standing on West Broadway.
A Deer in the Drug Store
On May 23rd, 1945 a 160 pound, four point buck bounded into the open basement door of Morris W. Henney’s Robbinsdale Pharmacy at 4139 West Broadway. Game Warden, Ben Cohen and Robbinsdale Policemen, Matt Spurzem and Adrian Mattson, came to the rescue, but not before the deer had done more than $600 dollars worth of damage by crashing into medical cabinets. After Cohen and Mattson dragged it outside and trussed it up, the deer was taken to Sheriff Earle Brown’s farm for doctoring and then to a game refuge.
Next to the Largest City in the State
Before Robbinsdale voted for municipal liquor, Menth’s Canteen sold on and off sale in the heart of the business district. The bar used Robbinsdale’s unofficial city slogan ” Next to the Largest City in the … Read more
The Hotel Columbia
Built as a temperance house by C.T. Griffith, the wooden, three story Hotel Georgia opened in 1890. The hotel had 23 bedrooms and a large double parlor. Meals were served family style. The Georgia was … Read more
Elim Lutheran Church
Elim Lutheran Church was founded by 26 charter members in 1922. The first services and Sunday School classes were held in the Robbinsdale Village Hall. In 1924 the congregation broke ground for a church on … Read more
The Best Suburb of Homes
Robbbinsdale boosters built this float for the Minneapolis Industrial Parade in July of 1911. The parade was part of the Minneapolis Civic Celebration was held during the week of July 2 to July 8. The festivities … Read more
Sacred Heart
Father William H. Blum dedicated Sacred Heart’s little wooden church on Christmas Day in 1911. At that time the Robbinsdale parish was made up of 38 families. In 1914 rectory was built and the church … Read more
Three for Robbinsdale
What are these guys smiling about? Chas. O. Wallace ( left.) Wallace was Robbinsdale’s first city clerk. He held office from 1938 until 1945. He served as Mayor from 1947 through 1954 and again from 1967 to 1972. The city’s new government offices behind Robin Center were dedicated to Wallace in 1970. John Zenzen (center) probably got to drive the car below . Adrain Mattson(right) served in the Army in World War I. He always kept his tie straight.
Streetcar comes to Robbinsdale–On a Truck!
In 1954 Father Nolan purchased an old trolley for the playground at Sacred Heart School. These photos come from Father Nolan’s streetcar movie in the Minnesota Streetcar Museum collection. Moving the trolley was quite … Read more
