Loving Our Library

In 1907, a group of committed women (including the ever-diligent secretary, Amy Robbins) launched the Robbinsdale Library Club. Their vision? A free public library for the neighborhood, a gathering place for their club, a source of knowledge, a community spark.
They started small: donated books, borrowed storefronts, the village hall, even hotel lobbies. By 1917, they had purchased a very small building, (formerly a bakery) relocated it to a lot donated by the Parker family on Rockford Road (now 42nd Avenue North), and refinished the interior with hardwood floors and shelving. The establishment opened to the public on June 28, 1920.

The Robbinsdale Library in 1920 (Courtesy of Hennepin County Library)

But these ladies weren’t content with “just okay.” They wanted permanent, elegant, sun-filled, welcoming.

On January 4, 1926, the new library building opened. It was paid for by community donations, including one from our flamboyant local publisher Wilford H. “Captain Billy” Fawcett.

The Robbinsdale Library in 1926 (Courtesy of Hennepin County Library)

Designed by Architect H. H. Livingston, the building’s style leans into what many call “1920s Tudor revival,” with steep gable, stucco walls, brick trim, multi-pane windows, thick window sills and a large bank of windows and you get a library that looks more like a home than an austere public building. Those big windows? They weren’t just for show. They bathed the reading room in natural light, provided a warm welcome, and made the space feel cozy rather than institutional. In many ways it mirrored the warm charm of that old Redeemer Lutheran Church on Regent Avenue that’s used as the Robbinsdale Alano these days, but with a library’s purpose baked in.

Robbinsdale Library Interior in the 1920’s (Courtesy of Hennepin County Library)

 

In short: big windows for daylight, comfy reading rooms, and a basement active with the community life of the Robbinsdale Library Club. The building was not a grand cathedral of knowledge, but it was just right for Robbinsdale—friendly, bright, neighborly.

Frances Pollard in the library basement at the dedication of the Robbinsdale Branch addition in 1960. She’s sitting at a table that was in the earliest Robbinsdale Library, which can be found in the Robbinsdale Historical Society’s museum to this day. Behind in the glass cases is a little of the library and the city’s history. (Courtesy of Hennepin County Library)

Frances Pollard was a former school teacher, cataloger and organizing dynamo. She became librarian in 1921 and served for thirty years. She recalled the early days: countless uncataloged books that had been moved from building to building, a little oil stove for heat, a volunteer staff (early Library Club members) doing the heavy lifting. The Club scheduled Saturday afternoon shifts, but Miss Pollard took the job seriously — she cataloged, she ordered, and she welcomed children and teens alike with a finger to her lips and a friendly “shhhhhhhhhhhhh”!

During her tenure, the library grew in circulation and standing. It became a place where blond-braided girls and crew-cut boys sat quietly at long tables, flipping pages under the large windows.

The Library Club’s Basement Meeting Room (Courtesy of Hennepin County Library)

The Robbinsdale Library Club didn’t just build a library—they built community traditions. One of their clever fundraisers: the 1929 “Robbinsdale Library Club Cook Book.” It featured homemaker-humor, advice on “How to Preserve a Husband.” household tips, local business ads, and beloved recipes.

The 1960 addition under construction (Courtesy of Hennepin County Library)

It’s a snapshot of community life: ladies in white gloves, club members meeting in the basement of the library building, recipe exchanges, book sales, library teas served from RLC monogrammed cups and saucers. The club was social, serious about books, and utterly rooted in local service.

At the library in the 1960s (Courtesy of Hennepin County Library)

Over the decades, the building evolved. In the 1960s, it got a major remodel: extension to the rear, tile floors, lowered ceilings for efficiency—the community was growing, and so was demand.

By the 1970s, with the new regional branch opening nearby, the old building stepped aside. The Robbinsdale Library closed in 1976. Former Robbinsdale High School Principal Milo Mielke wrote letters to the editor and complained bitterly to no avail. A year later, the Library Club gifted the building to the City of Robbinsdale. In 1978, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is the only building in the city to have the honor so far.

The circulation desk in 1973 (Courtesy of Hennepin County Library)

The upstairs of the old library found new purpose as the Robbin Gallery, a nonprofit art space run by volunteers and devoted to showcasing the creativity of local artists. With its Tudor-style charm, high ceilings, and those signature wide windows spilling sunlight across the hardwood floors, the space felt made for art from the very beginning. Exhibits changed monthly, ranging from bold modernist canvases to delicate photography and sculpture, each show drawing neighbors through the same front doors once used by library patrons decades earlier. Over the years, the Robbin Gallery became more than just an exhibition space—it grew into the cultural heart of Robbinsdale, hosting artist talks, workshops, and community receptions that carried on the building’s century-long tradition of learning and connection. It’s the perfect encore for a structure built to bring people together—still full of light, still full of life.

The Robbin Gallery and Annex Teen Clinic in the 1980’s

By the late 1970s, the old library found itself with a surprising new tenant: the Annex Teen Clinic, a forward-thinking youth health center that had started in the basement of St. Raphael’s Church in 1971. The clinic moved into the library’s lower level in 1978, offering confidential counseling and sexual-health services to teens from Robbinsdale and surrounding suburbs—a compassionate mission that was bold for its time. For five years, the basement bustled with young people seeking guidance and care until tragedy struck. In the early hours of July 31, 1983, a blaze tore through the clinic’s exam room. Robbinsdale’s volunteer firefighters battled the fire for an hour, but the damage was devastating—the clinic’s records and equipment were destroyed, and the rest of the building was choked in smoke. Though the cause was never proven, Fire Marshal Peter Jaroscak called it “a very hot fire” with no accidental explanation. The old library stood firm, but the incident left both the building and the community singed with sadness—and questions that were never fully answered. The Teen Annex has since relocated about a half mile to the west on 42nd Avenue.

Becky Wilken in the burned out office and examining room of the Annex Teen Clinic (Minneapolis Star and Tribune, August 11th, 1983)

The Robbinsdale Historical Society, founded in 1978, initially operated out of a modest space at Robbinsdale City Hall. In the years that followed, the Society sought a more permanent home for its growing collection of artifacts, photographs, and local memories.

42nd Avenue signage in 2002

In the early months of 1998, after a little remodeling and the addition of an accessibility ramp on the rear of the building, the Society moved into the historic 1926 library building. Since then, the society has maintained its museum and archival collections, helping preserve Robbinsdale’s story in a setting that itself is part of that story.

Around the table at the Robbinsdale Historical Society

Today, the Robbinsdale Library building houses the Robbinsdale Historical Society and the Robbin Gallery; the Robbinsdale City Band stores their archives in the old Teen Annex space downstairs. These organizations continue to preserve local history and nurture community art in the same sun-lit rooms where children once picked up their first library cards.

In the Robbin Gallery

What you see when you walk up to 4915 42nd Avenue North is more than a building. It’s the result of Amy Robbins and her fellow Library Club members saying, “Yes, we can build our own library.” It’s the legacy of Frances Pollard standing behind the circulation desk, ready to catalog another batch of donated books. It’s Captain Billy Fawcett writing a check because local culture mattered to him.

City employees and volunteers gathered on the steps to celebrate a new commemorative sign on the front of the building in 2024.

Next year, our little library building will be 100 years old. It’s the architecture: bright, welcoming, homey yet civic-proud. The big windows still catch the sun, the basement still echoes the past, the rooms are filled with community laughs, museum goers, meetings, and art openings. In the end, this building reminds us: big things often start small—a cookbook fundraiser, a group of women volunteers, a donated lot—and grow into something lasting.

 

The photo at the top of the post shows the exterior of the building in 1973. (Courtesy of Hennepin County Library)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.